Saturday, March 28, 2009

Thing 27. Twitter

Ok. I added a Twitter feed to both my blogs, set up a Twitter page and tweaked the design, stuck in a pic., etc. I even posted a couple of tweets. But...I just don't see the purpose of casual microblogging. No, wait, I take that back. I'd much rather have folks microblogging via Twitter than posting constantly on Facebook. I mean, c'mon, I really don't need to know all the cute stuff somebody's kid is doing hour after hour, all day long. Enough all ready. So go ahead and use Twitter for that.

But for non-recreational microblogging, I can see the value of Twitter. As an example, during Israel's attack on Gaza, I heard there were thousands of tweets coming out each day, reporting directly on what was happening, while the media was kept in the dark. And as for libraries, I suppose there's a value of using Twitter to keep folks current on what's happening that very hour at the library, say, during major programming.

So, go ahead and keep Twittering. Just don't do it so much. BTW, the Twitter handle is Radfo001.

No comments:

Post a Comment