Friday, May 1, 2009

Thing 32. Google Maps and Mashups

While the last Thing on Twitter was great, this one sucked. I find Google Maps to be very difficult to use. For example, there's no documentation other than that slick Google video linked from the Thing page. Let me tell you, it ain't as easy as the kid does it in the vid!

Besides the lack of help, Google Maps is just a pain. The navigation tools are clunky, the features, placemarks and line-drawing tools don't work very well and God help it if you start using the mouse wheel to scroll! (You'll need an airsick bag from the resultant nausea as the world spins by on your computer screen.)

As long as I'm complaining, I'm not even sure about how to do this Thing. The blog prompts suggest describing the mashup you've created, but you're supposed to create a map, not a mashup. In my understanding, a mashup combines various sources of data, like a map and another application. While the Thing page links to some examples, there's very guidance about creating this critter called a mashup--besides the fore-mentioned not-too-useful vid.

To end on a positive note, sure, it'd be cool for libraries to create and use mashups. For instance, a local history collection could use a map and images to show places referred to in the library's books or a library system could build a map that shows building images and webcam shots from inside the libraries.

So, be my guest and create a map and/or mashup for your library. I wish you more luck with Google Maps that I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment